Thursday, February 13, 2014

iPhone Discourager (Spoken Word)


Children, Children,
gather all around,
What I am about to say
will save your sanity.

Do not buy the iphone.
You can and WILL get addicted.

All of the free games
and expensive music available
provide endless entertainment
which, of course,
contribute to the stereotypical bus scene
where everyone is on their iDevice.
Naturally,
I put down my device
every bus trip
and check out the lovely view 
of a few mop stick width trees
and taco places
on my way home.
Sometimes I stare
at different people
to see if they notice.
So far, no luck.

Is everyone taking selfies
and hashtagging pacebus
on Facebook?
Are they playing Angrybirds?
Is this an attempt to escape
the stinky bus smell
of lay-offs and let downs?
They go on their phone
and forget a little about 
the financially struggling uncle in Nebraska
and their 15 year old
not yet graduated
expecting a baby boy 
daughter,
Not knowing where your next miracle plan is coming from.

Let me tell you one thing;
it’s not coming from Om Nom
as a reward for providing candy.
When you cut your ties to this world,
you cut the frayed ropes that say you’re humanly alive.

More people need to step
out of Sims 3
and into reality.
I know finding wormholes
to other dimensions is tricky
but I’m sure you can do it!

And all you people
envious of the modern iphone zombie
need to be grateful
for your limited talk and text capabilities.
The possibilities for me to shout
“Get a life!!”
are much decreased for you.

Still, listen to my message.

The iphone provides 
various opportunities:
You can access online books,
You can stalk Cody Simpson while eating a Big Mac,
You can also forget that sun shines in summer
and snow falls in winter,
but you should be able to choose
which opportunities to take.









What is an allusion? How many can you find in this poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment