Thursday, February 13, 2014

Should I Grow Up Yet? (Spoken Word)


Should I grow up yet?
Too soon Too soon Too soon
I want to walk all places
all by myself
but
If I do that
no one else will be there to pull the rusty wagon
where I cross-leggedly sit.

Should I grow up, yet?
Not now Not now Not now
I want to stay up late
with grown-up people
but
No one will 
pick me up
gently over the shoulders
and tuck me into the silent bed.

Should I grow up... yet?
One more day, One more day!
One more giggling, pastry stealing day.
I could make all the sweets I want,
If I grow up.
But
It will make my shin sag,
my elbow flubber,
and suddenly
the cookie wouldn’t be so sweet.

Should I grow up?
I think it’s too late.
Responsibility is mine,
now that I’m grown-up.
The sugar cookie is mine to bite
but I’m scared that its poison
will make me fall
the height I’ve climbed.

I carefully pull
the sleeping child
in the rusty red wagon
and hope
and hope 
they don’t grow up too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment